Debut String Orchestra is an advanced entry-level orchestra for strings. This BYSO ensemble is designed for progressing students on violin, viola, cello, and double bass who have 3+ years of experience on their instrument and some prior orchestra experience. The typical Debut String Orchestra student plays with solid first-position technique and has some early higher position knowledge.
Debut String Orchestra students improve their note-reading and rhythm skills while they become more confident playing as an ensemble. Past works performed include arrangements of Mozart’s Symphony No. 15, Bartok’s Romanian Folk Dances, and Spata’s Maharaja.
Sample of Debut String Orchestra:
Conductor: Mollie Ewing
Mollie Ewing is a freelance adjudicator, clinician, and conductor for school districts around the region. She holds a Bachelor of Music Education degree and a Master of Educational Leadership degree from the University of Portland. Mrs. Ewing taught orchestra in the Issaquah School District from 2001 to 2010 and is currently teaching orchestra at Risdon Middle School in the Renton School District. Learn more.
Contact Mollie Ewing at email@example.com
Messages from the Conductor
When: Sunday, November 3, 2019
Debut Arrival Time: 12:50 PM
Location: Renton IKEA PAC: 400 S 2nd St, Renton, WA 98057
Groups Performing: Cadet and Debut
- Students need to arrive at 12:50 PM in concert attire. Unpack, tune and head for the stage for our on-stage warm-up. This is our only time to warm-up and is critical for finding our seats and adjusting to the very different sound of the stage vs. gym.
- Doors open for parents at 1:55 PM, concert starts at 2:00 PM.
- Females: Black pants or skirt to the mid-calf or longer, tucked in white blouse with sleeves, black shoes and black socks or black hose.
- Males: Black pants, tucked in white shirt with sleeves, black shoes, black socks, and a black bow tie. *We have bowties available for purchase if needed for $5.
Concert Songs (in order):
- Symphony No. 2 (Tchaikovsky)
- Hansel and Gretel
- Postcards from Russia
9/30/2019 – Retreat and Seating Audition Spots (keep bringing your stands)
RETREAT LOCATION: Odle Middle School, 502 143rd Ave NE, Bellevue, WA 98007
When: Saturday, 10/5/2019
Time: Arrive at 8:45am; the retreat will be from 9:00am-1:00pm
*There will be pizza and snacks. It’s not all work, we’ll have some games and ways for you to meet other students in the orchestra!
SEATING AUDITIONS: Monday, 10/7/2019
Students will go into sectionals and the coaches will listen to students play the selections from their music. Please prepare all spots listed so you are ready for the audition. There are no make-ups for a missed audition. Please let me know in advance if you will miss the auditions. Students who miss will be placed at the back of the section.
Students will be scored and placed based on their technique, bowing, intonation, rhythm/tempo, and style
Hansel: m. 12-20
Postcards: m. 56-end
Hansel & Gretel: mm. 39-49
Finale: Letter F-G
Hansel & Gretel: m. 2-19 and m. 91-end
Finale: m. 55-70
Postcards: m. 23-39
Hansel: m. 23-31 AND m. 61-71
Postcards: m. 31-40
Hansel: m. 23-31 AND m. 61-69
9/15/2019 – Welcome to the DEBUT Orchestra of BYSO!
Debut Practice Schedule Fall 2019 and Debut Orchestra Expectations
Hello! My name is Mrs. Ewing and I am your conductor (contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org). I look forward to seeing new and familiar faces at our first rehearsal.
- Our Debut page on the byso.org website is where you will find important updates about our rehearsals, seating auditions, retreats, and concerts (if you’re reading this, you found it!).
- Students will be given a hard copy of the schedule and expectations to keep in their orchestra folders. Please make a note of important dates now so that students are prepared to attend.
- Thank you and I look forward to seeing everyone on Monday, September 16th!
BRING A STAND TO REHEARSAL EACH WEEK. Students will receive a folder, pencil and music at their first rehearsal.
Mrs. Mollie Ewing
Conductor, Debut Orchestra
- Thank you for your help with set-up and breakdown each week. With 90 students, there are a lot of things to move and your help is invaluable! As they say, “Many hands make light work!”
- Please check your student’s calendar and make a note of the Fall Retreat and our two performances. If students need to miss a rehearsal or performance, please use the link on byso.org to submit the absence. This information comes directly to me and allows me to prepare for our rehearsals/performances.
- Please make sure your student is coming prepared to rehearsal with a stand, their music, a pencil, and their instrument. Coming prepared also means they have practiced the material and taken it to their private teachers for assistance on difficult sections.
- Thank you for supporting our program and for your student’s participation! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful orchestra!!
Repertoire for Fall 2019:
Hansel and Gretel by E. Humperdinck (arr. Gruselle)
Symphony No. 2 (similar recording, but for full orch)- Finale by P. Tchaikovsky (arr. Dackow)
Postcards from Russia, Traditional, (arr. Gruselle)