Sinfonia is an advanced intermediate orchestra in the Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra organization. Sinfonia employs full symphonic instrumentation (strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion). The typical Sinfonia student has had some private instruction and school ensemble experience and is developing solid technical skills and musical understanding.
Sinfonia provides advancing students the opportunity to perform challenging literature for full orchestra. Past works performed include Haydn’s Symphony No. 104, Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro Overture, and Barroso’s Aquarela do Brazil.
Sample of Sinfonia:
Conductor: Barney Blough
Barney Blough holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music Performance and a Master of Music Education degree from Central Washington University, a Teaching Certificate from Seattle Pacific University, and a Professional Certificate from Pacific Lutheran University. He has served as Music Director of the Seattle Chamber Orchestra, Assistant Conductor of the Rainier Symphony, and Assistant Conductor of the Lake Union Civic Orchestra. Learn more.
Contact Barney Blough at email@example.com
Messages from the Conductor
Hi everyone! I miss seeing you every Monday night, and I hope you are doing well!
I am so excited to create a fun virtual recording project for all BYSO Sinfonia string players!
We will be playing “Greater Than” by Brian Balmages. Here are the steps to participate:
1. Listen to the “Greater Than” Sample Recording – The sample recording is only for you to learn how the piece is supposed to sound. Please don’t try to record while listening to the sample recording!
2. Download the “Greater Than” Parts – You only need to download your part, but it would be helpful to download the score as well so you can see how your part fits in with everyone else.
3. Download the “Greater Than” Click Tracks – You must listen to the click tracks while you are recording your part. This will make sense to you after you watch the Virtual Orchestra Tutorial video.
4. Watch the Virtual Recording Tutorial – This will explain how to record your part and get the best possible recording quality using your phone, a computer, and headphones.
5. Submit your video to the “Greater Than” Flipgrid by Friday, June 5 (earlier if possible). Here, you will be able to upload your video, or you can even record right on Flipgrid if that’s easier for you. Click the “Greater Than” Video Recording link to record on Flipgrid or upload your video.
Have fun, and I can’t wait to hear you all play together again!
Have questions about this project? Please send an email to Sinfonia@byso.org