Before You Audition
Whether you’ve been a member of BYSO for years, or are new, please review the Join BYSO page. It contains critical information about our auditioning and placement policies.
How to Audition
- Prepare for your audition by reviewing the standards of musicianship expected at each ensemble level and practicing.
- Record your audition as described in the instructions.
- Register and Pay Fall audition dates are August 19-26. In the meantime, click here for audition instructions.
2022-23 Season Information
We are conducting in-person rehearsals for the 2022-23 Season following WA State DOH guidelines for schools. We are watching evolving School District and State COVID guidelines and will make changes accordingly. You can review our current COVID policy here: BYSO COVID Policy
We have different rehearsal locations. Please refer to the specific ensemble pages for the day, time, and location of rehearsals.
Auditions for our full regular season take place VIRTUALLY in August. All new and returning students must audition for placement in the new season, with the exception of students who have previously auditioned into and participated in Youth Symphony or Percussion Ensemble.
The schedule for Fall Auditions is:
- June 23: Audition Repertoire Updated on Website
- August 19: Virtual Auditions Open
- August 26: Virtual Auditions Close
- Week of September 16: Audition Results Emailed
- September 19: Parents Meeting
- September 26: First Rehearsal
BYSO holds entry auditions in the winter on an instrument-need basis. Please see our Audition Instructions page for detailed information.
BYSO holds additional entry auditions during the ongoing season on an instrument-need basis. The Spring entry auditions happen in late February or early March.
Your audition will be judged on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Rhythmic Accuracy
- Overall performance and preparation
- Instrumentation capacity for each ensemble