Before You Audition
Whether you’ve been a member of BYSO for years, or are new, please review the Join BYSO page. It contains critical information about our auditioning and placement policies.
When Auditions Are Held
August/September: Full Season
Auditions for our full regular season take place in August or September. All new and returning students must audition for placement in the new season, with the exception of students who have previously auditioned into and participated in Youth Symphony or Percussion Ensemble.
December and February/March: Mid Season
BYSO holds additional entry auditions twice during the ongoing season on an instrument-need basis. These mid-season entry auditions happen in December and late February or early March. These auditions are for students who play under-represented instruments (brass, low woodwind, double bass) and who have not already auditioned for the current season (beginning the previous September).
How to Audition
- Prepare for your audition by reviewing the standards of musicianship expected at each ensemble level and practicing.
- Record your audition as described in the instructions.
- Register and Pay by completing our online registration/submission form during the submission window. The Fall 2020 submission period is now closed.
Your audition will be judged on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Rhythmic Accuracy
- Overall performance and preparation
- Instrumentation capacity for each ensemble