Before You Audition
If this is your first time auditioning with BYSO, please read our Join BYSO page. It contains critical information about our auditioning and placement policies.
When Auditions Are Held
September: Full Season
Auditions for our full regular season take place in September. All new and returning students must audition for placement in the new season, with the exception of students who have previously participated in Youth Symphony or Percussion Ensemble.
December and February/March: Mid Season
BYSO holds additional entry auditions twice during the ongoing season on an instrument-need basis. These mid-season entry auditions happen in December and late February or early March. These auditions are for students who play under-represented instruments (brass, low woodwind, double bass) and who have not already auditioned for the current season (beginning the previous September). Learn more about mid-season auditions.
How to Audition
- Register by completing our online form, which will only be open three weeks prior to auditions.
- Pay the $36.00 audition fee through the website.
- Wait to receive your audition appointment time. You will select an audition time block during registration and then be assigned a specific audition appointment time later by the BYSO office.
- Prepare for your audition by reviewing the standards of musicianship expected at each ensemble level and practicing.
- Audition: Review our At the Audition page to learn what to expect at your audition.