BYSO is led by an all-volunteer board that is responsible for strategy, resources and on-going monitoring of the organization. The Board is looking for new members for a two-year term.
A member of the Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring that the Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra fulfills its mission by planning for the future, monitoring operations, and evaluating the organization’s performance. Further, the board member will fulfill the fiduciary responsibilities of the board of directors, making corporate decisions that protect the public interest.
Responsibilities of the Board of Directors
Advance the mission of Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra
- Actively promote the mission of BYSO, contributing ideas and expertise.
- Be informed about BYSO’s mission, services, policies, and programs; inform
others about the organization, and work to enhance the organization’s public
- Keep up-to-date on developments in the organization’s field.
Select the Executive Director and Music Director for the organization
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for the executive staff.
- Support executive team and provide an annual evaluation of their performance.
Ensure effective organizational planning including strategic and financial planning
- Actively participate in the development of a vision and strategic plan for the
organization to accomplish the BYSO mission.
- Determine and monitor the organization’s programs and services.
- Actively review, provide input and approve an organization budgeting to support
the organization’s priorities.
Ensure adequate resources, and manage those resources effectively
- Carry out the fiduciary responsibilities of the board, such as reviewing the
organization’s annual financial statements, selecting an auditor and receiving the
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization commensurate with
- Actively lead and support fundraising activities, assisting in developing new
channels for resources.
- Manage resources effectively.
Actively participate in all Board activities
- Attend board meetings in person or by phone.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Serve on a committee and periodically take on special assignments.
- Suggest nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work
of the board and to the organization.
- Assess the board’s performance.
Enhance the organization’s position and perception with the community
- Support the Executive Director and Music Director as the public face of the
- Act as an ambassador of the organization for our parent and donor communities.
- Attend concerts and special events.
Assure compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by BYSO’s mission, objectives,
Meetings and Time Commitment
- Mandatory attendance at scheduled Board meetings on the third Thursday of the month.
- Participate on at least one supporting/working committee of the board of directors in
support of organizational priorities.
Length of Term
One term = three years, with the opportunity to serve additional term(s) upon