BYSO’s annual Concerto Competition provides opportunities for outstanding student musicians to perform advanced solo repertoire in concert with orchestral accompaniment. Concerto Competition auditions are held in November each year. This year’s auditions will be held via video, and the winning videos will be shared with the rest of the BYSO community during December.
Registration for BYSO’s 2020 Online Concerto Competition is now closed. Check back again in Fall 2021.
Who May Enter
The BYSO Concerto Competition is open to members of our Youth Symphony, Philharmonia, Flute Orchestra, and Percussion Ensemble.
A student in another BYSO ensemble who is extremely advanced on an instrument other than the one he or she plays in BYSO (for example, piano) may enter the competition on that instrument with the permission of the Music Director and Executive Director.
- All soloists must be current, active members of BYSO.
- The soloist must audition with one movement of a work that has orchestral accompaniment.
- The video audition must be done with piano accompaniment: this may live on the video or with a recording that can be heard clearly by the judges. (If you record live with an accompanist outside your family, please observe social distancing and mask rules.)
- The soloist must fully memorize his or her music for the audition, as for concert performance.
- Contestants will receive written adjudication of their audition performance.
- Submission deadline is November 18th at 5pm.
Dress as you would to solo at a concert – this can be standard concert dress or more formal apparel.
As with fall auditions, make sure your hands and your instrument are visible in the video. If playing with live accompaniment, the pianist should be visible as well. The audition fee is $36.
All musicians who prepare and audition for this competition are to be congratulated for their hard work and excellent achievements!
To enter, submit the form below (available Fall 2021).