BYSO relies on volunteer help throughout the year especially at Auditions, Retreats, and Concerts. We also have volunteer opportunities at our office and at rehearsals. Please review the list below to learn more about volunteer positions.
Our three-day September audition period is the largest event in the BYSO year. In just 18 hours, our music staff will hear close to 600 young auditionees, individually, for approximately 10 minutes each.
These auditions are extremely busy and logistically complicated. To ensure that they run smoothly and on time, we rely heavily on volunteers from within our BYSO family. We especially encourage high school students to volunteer, as you are the most experienced with the process.
Winter and spring auditions are smaller events but still very busy and demanding, so we rely on our volunteers at these times as well.
Multiple audition volunteers are needed in these categories:
- Volunteer Check-In/Information Table— Assists our volunteers with checking in, obtaining a name badge, finding their necessary job description, and answering any questions. Time commitment is 2 hours.
- Registrar— Responsible for checking students in and collecting the audition fee (if not previously paid) and required paperwork. Time commitment is 2 hours.
- Point Person— Guides families to the Registration table, students to their warm-up room, and answers general questions such as the location of the restrooms. This is a great opportunity for a BYSO high school student. Time commitment is 2 hours.
- Warm-Up Room Coordinator— A perfect job for a seasoned BYSO high school student, the Warm-Up Room Coordinator keeps track of auditionees and offers help in tuning or calmly dealing with crises such as a broken string. This role also assists the audition runners in locating musicians and communicating schedule changes. Time commitment is 2 hours.
- Warm-Up Room Check-In— Stationed at a table outside of the warm-up room, this volunteer checks students in as they arrive, directs the parents back out to the lobby, and may help the coordinator and the audition runner locate students for their audition.
- Audition Runner— Another perfect job for a seasoned BYSO high school student, the Audition Runner will walk students to their audition – making small talk along the way and answering any questions they may have about the process. When the coaches/conductors are ready, the Audition Runner introduces the auditionee, makes sure they hand their form in, and then heads off to pick up the next auditionee. Time commitment is 2 hours.
Point Person— For our Cadet/Debut and Premiere/Sinfonia retreats, the Point Person helps direct students and answers questions such as restroom location, lunch time, and retreat schedule. Time commitment ~30 minutes.
Lunch Preparation Assistant— Helps to set-up tables, serve lunch and water, and clean up once students return to their classes. Time commitment ~30-40 minutes.
Retreat Set-Up and Break-Down— Helps our conductors and coaches get the chairs and music stands set up before the retreat, then helps them break it down at the end of the day. Time commitment ~30-40 minutes.
Concert-day volunteers have the opportunity to reserve seats for their entire family before the concert!
- Volunteer Check-In— Assists our volunteers with checking in, obtaining a name badge, receiving their necessary job description, and answering any questions. Time commitment ~1½ hours.
- Lobby/Ticket Sales— Assists with selling tickets, merchandise, bow ties, handing out previously ordered items as well as handling Will Call and Complimentary tickets. You may be in the box office or at a table in the lobby. Time commitment ~1½ hours.
- Point Person— A fun way to spend pre-concert! A Point Person directs students to their Green Rooms, parents to the lobby or box office, answers general questions, and ensures our elderly or disabled audience members (and their families) are seated before the concert begins. Time commitment ~1½ hours.
- Program Distribution/Ticket Taker— If you want to help but do not have a big time commitment, this position requires only 30-minutes of handing out programs before the concert and taking tickets as attendees walk in.
Stays with the students in their greenroom until right before the concert begins and ensures they are behaving respectfully towards one another as well as towards the property of the room. You must be comfortable with enforcing rules such as, “No drawing on the white board, Don’t touch the piano/drums, etc…” You will also direct late students to the stage if they are already rehearsing. Time commitment ~1 hour.
All greenroom monitors are required to complete a WSP Background check.
Photographers take professional-quality photographs capturing images of BYSO musicians during on-stage rehearsal before the concert and from behind-the-scenes in the green rooms. Photographers then send a selection of pictures to BYSO. BYSO will hold copyright on these images and may use them for BYSO promotional purposes. Please do not place watermarks or credit lines on these photos. Time commitment ~1 hour.
Part of team that folds and collates concert programs in the BYSO office during the week before performances.
Rehearsal Volunteer Opportunities
- Cadet, Debut, Premiere, and Sinfonia Rehearsal Support— There ensembles are fairly large and having help setting up, taking attendance, and breaking down is a huge help. This is a great way to volunteer if you are hanging out at the rehearsal space the entire time. Arrive about 20-minutes early to help get the chairs and stands in place, take attendance as students are walking in, and then help break down for about 10 minutes when rehearsal is done. The time commitment, not including waiting for rehearsal to finish, is about 45 minutes.
Miscellaneous Volunteer Opportunities
Please contact the office if you are interested in supporting BYSO in any of the following ways:
- Event Photographer—Parent or other supporter with experience taking professional-quality photographs will capture images of BYSO musicians for our use. Needed for BYSO community outreach performances and BYSO fundraising events that include student performance. BYSO will hold copyright on these images and may use any or all for BYSO promotional purposes. Please do not place watermarks or credit lines on these photos. To photograph regular BYSO concerts, please see above.
- IT Corps—Pool of volunteers available provide IT guidance and tech support on an as-needed basis for BYSO office staff.
- Music Librarian—Responsible for helping with our music library per conductors’ needs at the beginning of each quarter.
- Mailing Assistant—Available for mailing assistance in the BYSO office on an as-needed basis for small bulk mailings.