BYSO holds additional entry auditions twice during the ongoing season on an instrument-need basis. Winter auditions take place in December. Spring auditions take place in late February or early March.
Standard audition fees apply. Tuition fees are prorated for students who join BYSO mid-season.
Who May Audition
- Mid-season auditions are open to under-represented instruments including brass, low woodwind, and double bass. For Spring 2020, the following auditions will be considered:
- Debut String Orchestra: Viola, Cello, Bass
- Premiere: Viola, Bass, Bassoon, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba/Euphonium
- Sinfonia: Horn, Trumpet, Tuba, Percussion, Viola, Bass
- Philharmonia: All instruments except Violin
- Youth Symphony: All instruments except Violin, Oboe, and Flute
- Percussion Ensemble: Percussion
- Flute Choir & Flute Orchestra: flutes
- Mid-season entry auditions are only for students who have not already auditioned for the current season (beginning Sept. 1).
- Winter auditions….
How to Audition
- Register by completing our online form, available only when registration is open.
- Pay the $36.00 audition fee.
- Wait to receive your audition appointment time. You will select an audition time block during registration and then be assigned a specific audition appointment time later by the BYSO office.
- Prepare for your audition by reviewing the standards of musicianship expected at each ensemble level and practicing.
- Audition: Review our At the Audition page to learn what to expect at your audition.
Postponing & Re-auditioning
Students offered a placement for Winter Quarter may defer their entry until the Spring Quarter, at which time they will enter at the level earned at their winter audition. Students who decline to enter BYSO at the placement level earned at their audition, either immediately or through deferred entry, must wait until September to re-audition.