To serve our hundreds of musicians, BYSO frequently coordinates large activities such as auditions, concerts, and retreats. To proceed smoothly, those activities require more oversight and assistance than BYSO’s small staff can provide. That’s why we rely on our team of parents and other volunteers to support us throughout the season. Our volunteers’ support is worth over $25,000 toward our programs and your musician’s education. To keep BYSO running, we ask all families to fulfill at least four hours of volunteer service per musician per year. High school students are also encouraged to volunteer. BYSO hours can be counted toward their school volunteer requirements. Read the task descriptions.
All volunteers will be required to submit COVID liability waiver and proof of vaccination.
This 2021-22 season, we are especially in need of rehearsal volunteers as we go back to in-person rehearsals. Please sign up today!
Rehearsal Volunteer Opportunities
- Rehearsal Set-up Volunteers:
We need two rehearsal set-up volunteers for each ensemble. The rehearsal volunteer is a critical role in helping set up the room, organize chairs to ensure they are space 3-feet from each other, assist students with questions and help conductor prepare for start of rehearsal. Time Commitment: 45 minutes
- Attendance Volunteers:
We are looking one attendance volunteer for each ensemble. The attendance volunteer will greet students in the rehearsal room and take attendance.
Time Commitment: 30 – 45 minutes
- Drop-off Outdoor Attendant:
We need two outdoor drop-off attendants at Bellevue Children’s Academy to ensure smooth flow of traffic.
Time Commitment: 30 – 45 minutes
Retreat Volunteer Opportunities
- Retreat Set-up Volunteers:
We need two retreat set-up volunteers for each retreat. The set-up volunteer is a critical role in helping set up the room, organize chairs to ensure they are space 3-feet from each other, assist students with questions and help conductor prepare for start of rehearsal. Time Commitment: 45 minutes
- Snack Monitor Volunteers:
We need two retreat snack monitor volunteers for each retreat. The snack monitor will oversee the outdoor 15-minute snack period and ensure students are maintaining social distancing. Time Commitment: 30 minutes
- Retreat Tear-Down Volunteers: The tear-down volunteers help our conductors and coaches put away chairs and stands at the end of the day. Time Commitment: 30 minutes
Concert Volunteer Opportunities
- Attendance Volunteers: We need attendance volunteers for each ensemble in all concerts. The attendance volunteer greets students in the lobby of the Meydenbauer Center and takes attendance as students check in for their dress rehearsal.
Time Commitment: 60 minutes
- Ticket & Merchandise Sales: We are looking for three ticket attendants for each concert. The ticket attendants will assist with selling tickets, merchandise, bow ties, handing out previously ordered items as well as handling Will Call and Complimentary tickets. Volunteers will also check vaccination status or negative COVID tests of all attendees as they check in, with BYSO staff support. Time Commitment: 50 minutes
- Ushers: We are looking for one usher for each concert. If you want to help but do not have a big time commitment, this position requires only 30-minutes of handing out programs before the concert. Time Commitment: 30 minutes
- Point Person: A fun way to spend pre-concert! A Point Person directs students to their Green Rooms, parents to the lobby or box office, answers general questions, and ensures our elderly or disabled audience members (and their families) are seated before the concert begins. We need two volunteers to fill this position for each concert. Time commitment: 1.5 hours.
- Green Room Monitor: We are looking for Green Room Monitors for each concert. The number of Green Room Monitors needed varies depending on the age group of the students in the concert. Green Room Monitors stay with the students in their greenroom during the dress rehearsals and until right before the concert begins and ensures they are behaving respectfully towards one another as well as towards the property of the room. You must be comfortable with enforcing rules such as, “No drawing on the white board, Don’t touch the piano/drums, etc…” You will also direct late students to the stage if they are already rehearsing. Time Commitment: 1.5 hours
- Back Stage Monitor: We are looking for Back Stage Monitors for each concert. The number of Back Stage monitors needed varies depending on the age group of the students in the concert. ack Stage Monitors stay with the students in their greenroom before and after their performance during the concert. They ensure that students are behaving respectfully towards one another as well as towards the property of the room. You must be comfortable with enforcing rules such as, “No drawing on the white board, Don’t touch the piano/drums, etc…” Time Commitment: 60 minutes